Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Cake For JoJo...and some new kitchen utensils!!!

Here we are...3 more sleeps until the big day...Christmas Day...
a time to be with Family...
a time of laughter and joy...
friendship and love...


and time to do a little baking...

I have made a simple Fruit Cake this year...
not normally part of our (European) heritage but a very Australian tradition...

This year JoJo requested a Fruit Cake...
How could I say no!!!

Yummy fruit...Glace Cherries...Almonds...Walnuts...Brazil Nuts...Dried Apricots...Dried Pineapple...Sultanas just to name some of the goodies in this mix...

I substituted Gluten Free Plain Flour for the Plain Flour...

the recipe was on the back of the pack of fruit...

oops...the cake pic should be here!!!

FESTIVE FRUIT CAKE


1kg Soland Festive Fruit Mix

125g plain flour
1/2t baking powder

pinch of salt

200g caster sugar

3 eggs

1/2 c brandy

1t vanilla essence

METHOD

Place fruit into large bowl

Sift in flour, baking powder and salt

Mix in the sugar

Combine the eggs, brandy and vanilla together in a separate bowl

Add egg mixture to cake and mix thoroughly

Grease and line 20cm (8") round baking tin and bake at 150 c for 2 hours

Cool in the tin for 10m before turning onto a wire rack

I cooled my cake completely...and poured brandy over it whilst hot!!!

I haven't tried it yet...but it looks good and smells great!!!

When I go up to the 'big smoke' I can't help but frequent kitchen shops...
And look at these goodies I have found...
Gorgeous patty cases above...

Can one get excited about a Bundform pan/moule a Kougelhof...I certainly did...along with

this icing decorator kit...and cutters that can be used as baubles!!!

More cutters and little bowls that I will use for Creme Brulee!!!

This was enough for me to admire the following day and have a cup of coffee...

and start a new little stitchery from Carol that I received in the Advent Swap...which I participated in...in my other blog Queen of the Armchair!!!
I started this blog earlier this year to document my TAFE course...I have a few more posts that I am behind in that I will gradually post...
I'll see then where My Dolce Vita takes me...
A little quote here that I think is oh so meaningful for this time of year...

If, as Herod, we fill our lives with things,
and again with things;
if we consider ourselves so unimportant that we must fill every moment of our lives with action,
when will we have the time to make the long, slow journey across the desert as did the Magi?
Or sit and watch the stars as did the shepherds?
Or brood over the coming of the child as did Mary
For each one of us,
there is a desert to travel.
A star to discover.
And a being within ourselves to bring to life
~Author, unknown~
May you all have a blessed Christmas/Yule
and a Safe, Healthy and Prosperous New Year...
Merry Chiristmas...
And, Bon Appetit...Dzintra

5 comments:

  1. The cake looks yummy. I like a simple fruit cake too and have a special recipe that I use every year. This year though I've bought a Lions Club's Christmas cake. I just want to support the worthwhile charity - have a wonderful holiday with your family - Hugs Nat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Dzintra, that was a beautiful story, and the fruit cake is beautiful as well! To make your own fruit cake instead of buying the ones that look as if they had been there a while, makes me hungry for one! All those yummy nuts and dried fruit....magical! And all of those fun kitchen goodies!! I am on the hunt for chestnut cream...I saw it in France, and I am sure that I can make it, but wouldn't that be lovely on some crêpes? Can you tell that I am hungry as I type this?:)

    Wishing you a wonderful, peaceful Christmas...Anita

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicious fruitcake for JoJo! I'm sure she is so excited! The little stitchery project looks so cute, and I love the story by the unknown author at the end... perfect for this holiday! I'm making my last rounds of my blog friends before heading into the wild blue yonder to see my grandbaby for Christmas! YAY! I want to wish you a very Merry Christmas my dear friend! xxx Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  4. The cake is just so yummy, and I enjoyed reading your post. A big hug for JoJo and Merry Christmas!
    Micki

    ReplyDelete